[Gmsh] 2D Mesh for OpenFOAM: boundary layer field and extrusion

James Gross jgross0227 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 18:38:56 CET 2018

Hi Christophe,

As a further follow up, using the latest version, the BL is now included in
the extrusion and the physical group. However, when it is converted to
OpenFOAM mesh, the BL is given is still given it's own patch. I suppose
this is because *gmshToFoam* uses the *mesh partitions*, and *not the
physical groups* to determine patches. However, what is more peculiar is
that the patch only includes one side, even when I specify the extruded
features in the BoundaryLayer Field.

In this simple case, I can alter the OF boundary file so that the BL is
considered a part of the rest of the domain. However, issues arise when the
BL is split over a number domains. So for example, if I alter the
BoundaryLayer Field such that there is also a BL around the blades (see the
attached geo file). The correct physical groups are specified, but when I
use gmshToFoam, a patch is automatically defined as one side of the BL,
which spreads out over two domains.

​

I suppose this is an issue with *gmshToFoam* and not with gmsh. I will post
this same issue to OF mailing-list.

James