[Gmsh] half of structure disappears

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Sun Mar 4 18:29:13 CET 2018

> On 4 Mar 2018, at 17:46, Juan E. Sanchez <juan.e.sanchez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Using the latest Mac OS snapshot, it is the same behavior.
>
> 3 sections appear (air, gate, air)
>
> I go into the visibility dialog, visualize both "gate" and "air", and the last "air" disappears.

I think you are misunderstanding the definition of physical groups. Your boolean operations create 3 elementary volumes : left, center and right. You put the left one in the physical group "air" and the middle one in "gate". (Note that your boolean operations are unnecessarily complicated - you could just fragment the 2 boxes instead of doing a difference followed by a fragment.)

So if you select the 2 physical groups, indeed you hide the right volume...

> If I mesh before opening the visibility dialog, all 3 sections get meshed.

Normal again: by default with the MSH2 format Gmsh only saves elements that belong to physical groupe.

> When I save the mesh, and then open the mesh file, one of the "air" sections is missing.
>

> Starting over:
>
> If I open the visibility dialog, and select both physical groups, one of the "air" sections disappear.
>
> Looking in the Elementary entities, it appears that there are 3 volumes.  It looks like one of the "air" sections did not get assigned to the Physical Group.
>
> How do I ensure that both "air" sections get assigned to the same Physical Group?

Physical Group ("air") = {3,4};

Christophe

—