[Gmsh] Build tetrahedral mesh with structured region

Robert Funnell robert.funnell at mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 23 18:59:42 CEST 2018

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018, Octavio Castillo Reyes wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm working with Gmsh for electromagnetic simulations. So far I have only
> worked with unstructured tetrahedral meshes, however I would like to create
> structured regions.
>
> So, Do you know if it is possible to create structured regions of
> tetrahedrons within an unstructured tetrahedral mesh? If possible, what is
> the know-how?
>
> Thank you for your support
>
> Best regards
>
> O.

Since no-one else has answered, I'll mention something that may be
relevant. In 1986 we published a paper (DOI:10.1049/cae:19860050) that
proposed a mesh-generation method that involved creating a structured
tetrahedral mesh for the interior of an object and then generating an
unstructured tetrahedral mesh to fill in between the object's and its
structured core. The method was also described in a master's thesis
(Boubez, 1987); a link to the thesis can be found at
http://audilab.bme.mcgill.ca/~funnell/pub.html#theses .

- Robert