[Gmsh] Gmsh produces meshes with different number of elements

Felix Salazar felix.a.salazar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 05:05:06 CEST 2018

My experience with this type of issue has been that, for the same
architecture, with a binary compiled with the same options, the meshes are
repeatable. Some minor differences might occur when some options are
missing in the binary in another computer. And I've seen that the numbers
associated with extruded entities sometimes change between different
computers. That was actually common.

But I think all that was before version 3.0. At the time I was generating
meshes in different architectures and spotting those differences in mesh
was easier (frequently with errors in the geometry generation). I never
considered it a bug. I just tried to build robust .geo files where the
surface/volume numbers were implicit.

Thanks to the devs for all the improvements throughout these years!

On Aug 9, 2018 4:18 PM, "Christophe Geuzaine" <cgeuzaine at uliege.be> wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2018, at 21:44, Juan E. Sanchez <juan.e.sanchez at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Are you saying that gmsh generated meshes are now repeatable for the same
inputs?

Yes, with the latest snapshots they should be.

> That has never been my experience in the past.

Correct. A lot has been happening since Gmsh 3.0 :-)

> Regards,
>
> Juan
>
> On 8/9/18 11:11 AM, Jean-François Remacle wrote:
>> Hello
>> This should NOT happen. Can you send the script ?
>>> Le 9 août 2018 à 17:27, Octavio Castillo Reyes <ocastilloreyes at gmail.com>
a écrit :

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> First I would like to say that gmsh is a great tool and I congratulate
the developers.

>>> I'm working with tetrahedral meshes and I have noticed that for the
same script, gmsh produces different meshes, that is, the number of
elements or nodes is different. This is without making changes to the .geo
file, does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

—