[Gmsh] Recommendation for scripting in gmsh

Max Orok morok at mevex.com
Sun Aug 26 22:51:36 CEST 2018

Well, .geo file scripting is nice if you only need a few commands and don't
want to write a large program.
It is also useful for interacting with other Gmsh users as a sort of lingua
franca.

On the other hand, I would lean towards the API if you'd like to write a
larger program that takes full advantage of Gmsh's features
with the possibility of interfacing with other programs.

In terms of functionality, I would guess they're broadly similar, but as
the API develops it is likely more and more features will be added there.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Hector Espinoza <espinozahg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello:
>
> In gmsh 4.0 one can use scripts to generate a geometry/mesh in the form of
> a .geo file or using the python/julia API
>
> Which is the preferred method to have the most functionality of gmsh?
>
> For example, element renumbering appears to be implemented in the API but
> not in the .geo interpreter.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Héctor Espinoza

Max Orok