[Gmsh] Compatibility Problem with Gmsh and SfePy

Sean Gullette gi1976 at wayne.edu
Thu Sep 6 20:41:54 CEST 2018

Hi,

I'm trying to create a finite element mesh in Gmsh by following this tutorial http://sfepy.org/doc-devel/primer.html. But when I try to run the example file from the tutorial 'script/simple.py examples/linear_elasticity/its2D_1.py', I get the following error: "FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory". The filename and pathname are definitely correct (I'm typing these commands from the top level SfePy directory), so I don't understand why the program doesn't recognize it.

I do not get this error when I use the example mesh given by the tutorial. It solves the finite element problem and I can visualize the result using postproc.py without any issues.

Aside from the minor, unavoidable differences that appear to be a result of different versions of Gmsh (I think the tutorial is based on an older version), my mesh is nearly identical to the one in the tutorial. The ruled surface feature seems to be absent from my version so I created a plane surface instead. Also my mesh contains 76 vertices and 122 triangles instead of 55 vertices and 83 triangles used in the tutorial.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Sean

gi1976 at wayne.edu