[Gmsh] Exporting Mesh to other software

G. D. McBain gdmcbain at protonmail.com
Sat Mar 9 07:44:56 CET 2019

> I wanted to know if it is possible to export an unstructured grid created from the software to another software that does not have the ability to create an unstructured grid.

Yes indeed, there are many examples: FreeFem++, PETSc (and hence libMesh and Firedrake), meshio (and hence scikit-fem), OpenFOAM, and FEniCS, can all read the MSH format (at least version 2). Other packages can read in other formats that Gmsh exports; I've found the MEDIT .mesh format useful for its simplicity, where applicable, for example.

You may need to be more specific about the other software though. It doesn't have the ability to create an unstructured grid, but what is it expecting?