[Gmsh] Surfaces not lining up - new user

Anthony Ozzello anthony.ozzello at entegris.com
Thu Mar 14 17:34:06 CET 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user, trying to set up a simple problem to start working with gmsh feeding into ElmerFEM.
All I want to do is generate three cylinders that touch each other and the apply  positive voltage to
one face at one end and negative voltage at the opposite face on the other end to show that I can
build something simple and see that the potential in a stat current model is working. The problem
is that, for some reason, the three cylinders do not seem to be connecting to each other. When I
run the model, each of the three cylinders keeps its own potential there is no gradient in potential
across the cylinders when I adjust the conductivity to low values. It seems the surfaces of the three
cylinders do not connect electrically. I've turned on the 'sew faces' option, but still no luck.
Can anyone give me any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

//+
SetFactory("OpenCASCADE");
Cylinder(1) = {-50, -7.5, 0, 100, 0, 0, 7.5, 2*Pi};
Cylinder(2) = {-51, -7.5, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0.25, 2*Pi};
Cylinder(3) = {50, -7.5, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0.25, 2*Pi};
lcar1 = .1;
lcar2 = 1.0;

Characteristic Length{ PointsOf{ Volume{2:3}; } } = lcar1;
Characteristic Length{ PointsOf{ Volume{1}; } } = lcar2;
//+
Show "*";

Tony Ozzello

Technologist