[Gmsh] Units for STEP files

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Sat Mar 30 22:49:11 CET 2019

> On 30 Mar 2019, at 21:32, Victor Kemp <victorkemp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Jeremy and Christophe.
>
> I think the manual might be wrong in saying that the default "" uses the units from the file. I have a file with meters and inches but GMSH 4.2.2 produces a mesh in millimeters. It also doesn't make sense to use the units from the file because there can be more than one, and they're decided arbitrarily by the software that created the file and not easily visible to the user. Does the default value of Geometry.OCCTargetUnit really mean that it uses OCCT's default, which is mm, and behaves the same as Gmsh 3?

When "Geometry.OCCTargetUnit" is empty we don't specify any units, so indeed we use OCCT's default behavior, so exactly as in Gmsh 3. I have updated the documentation to clarify this. Thanks!

> Also, is it unsafe to use "M" because of those bugs, or have they been fixed?

We've still experienced quite a few problems with "M" - which prompted the change in the default value for the option in 4.2.

Cheers,

Christophe