[Gmsh] Skipping surface on conversion from STEP to geo_unrolled

Gavin Ridley gavin.keith.ridley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 18:23:15 CEST 2019

Hi,

I would just like to note something to the developers regarding a perhaps
unnecessary skipping of surfaces in the code.

I recently have had to convert a STEP file with fairly complicated geometry
to a GEO. This is done so that I can split one of the surfaces in the STEP
file to set different BCs on different parts of the surface. At the moment,
it appears that gmsh will skip several surfaces in the conversion from STEP
to geo_unrolled unnecessarily: surfaces were left out from the gmsh file. A
warning message comes with this.

It seems, however, that the skipped surfaces work fine if you just go back
in and add surfaces manually. Gmsh now reads the geo file correctly.

So, why are these surfaces being skipped? Is there some ambiguity about
their interpretation from STEP? It would be nice to not have to manually go
in and add the surfaces.

--
Thanks,
Gavin Ridley