[Gmsh] Errors when increasing NNodesByEdge on a small edge

Nathan RICKS Nathan.James.Ricks at vub.be
Thu Apr 11 09:00:51 CEST 2019

Dear Prof. Geuzaine,

Thanks for the response. Indeed, I just tested this using Gmsh on my Mac, and the resultant mesh runs fine.

So it seems the problem is restricted to the workstation, which is running Linux 64-bit (red hat). I just tried instead compiling from the source code and the error persists there also unfortunately. Are you aware of anything that may cause this? It's for an optimisation routine, so thousands of meshes are generated, so using my Mac isn't feasible unfortunately.

In regards to the boundary layer, I was originally using the BL field directly, however ran into issues as I couldn't have a growth rate "around" the airfoil spline (to have narrower cells at leading and trailing edges), as well as perpendicular to the airfoil. Also, at the trailing edge using the fan node resulted in too small cells causing numerical errors, and without it the cells were too bad quality, also causing errors. Using the transfinite surfaces gave me flexibility in the boundary layers, allowing two different growth rates perpendicular to the surface. With that it was running very well, until now on trying to include the blunt TE.

Thank you again,
Kind Regards,

Nathan Ricks.