[Gmsh] Duplicate Surface Meshes in different Gmsh files

Sanghavi, Chaitanya chaitanya.sanghavi at siemens.com
Fri Jul 5 13:55:25 CEST 2019

Dear All,

Thank you for a having a platform where the users can pose some questions. I have an issue which I would like to share.

Objective : My objective is to get a conformal surface mesh between two geometries meshed independently in different files. By example, I can start with a simple cube in one .geo file and mesh this geometry.

The script for this test1.geo file is as follows:
L = 1; H =1; Fin = 1/5; e =1; // L = length, H = width, e = elevation (z axis), Fin = mesh-size

    Point(1) = {0,0,0, Fin};
    Point(2) = {L/2,0,0, Fin};
    Point(3) = {L/2,H,0, Fin};
    Point(4) = {0,H,0, Fin};
    Point(5) = {0,0,e, Fin};
    Point(6) = {L/2,0,e, Fin};
    Point(7) = {L/2,H,e, Fin};
    Point(8) = {0,H,e, Fin};

Line(1) = {1,2};
Line(2) = {2,3};
Line(3) = {3,4};
Line(4) = {4,1};
Line(5) = {5,6};
Line(6) = {6,7};
Line(7) = {7,8};
Line(8) = {8,5};
Line(9) = {1,5};
Line(10) = {2,6};
Line(11) = {3,7};
Line(12) = {4,8};

// surfaces Block 1
Line Loop(1) = {-1,-2,-3,-4};
Plane Surface(1) = {1};
Line Loop(2) = {5,6,7,8};
Plane Surface(2) = {2};
Line Loop(3) = {1,10,-5,-9};
Plane Surface(3) = {3};
Line Loop(4) = {2,11,-6,-10};
Plane Surface(4) = {4};
Line Loop(5) = {3,12,-7,-11};
Plane Surface(5) = {5};
Line Loop(6) = {4,9,-8,-12};
Plane Surface(6) = {6};

// Volume Block 1
Surface Loop(1) = {4,1,3,2,5,6};
Volume(1) = {1};

For various reasons, I need to write explicitly define all the lines and surfaces.

A part of the surface 4 has a physical interface with the second .geo file. i.e.

test2.geo

L = 1; H= 1; e = 1; Fin = 1/50;

Point(13) = {L/2,0,0.1*e, Fin};

Point(14) = {0.9*L,0,0.1*e, Fin};

Point(15) = {0.9*L,H,0.1*e, Fin};

Point(16) = {L/2,H,0.1*e, Fin};

Point(17) = {L/2,0,0.9*e, Fin};

Point(18) = {0.9*L,0,0.9*e, Fin};

Point(19) = {0.9*L,H,0.9*e, Fin};

Point(20) = {L/2,H,0.9*e, Fin};

Line(13) = {13,14};

Line(14) = {14,15};

Line(15) = {15,16};

Line(16) = {16,13};

Line(17) = {17,18};

Line(18) = {18,19};

Line(19) = {19,20};

Line(20) = {20,17};

Line(21) = {13,17};

Line(22) = {14,18};

Line(23) = {15,19};

Line(24) = {16,20};

Line Loop(13) = {-13,-14,-15,-16};

Plane Surface(13) = {13};

Line Loop(14) = {17,18,19,20};

Plane Surface(14) = {14};

Line Loop(15) = {13,22,-17,-21};

Plane Surface(15) = {15};

Line Loop(16) = {14,23,-18,-22};

Plane Surface(16) = {16};

Line Loop(17) = {15,24,-19,-23};

Plane Surface(17) = {17};

Line Loop(18) = {16,21,-20,-24};

Plane Surface(18) = {18};

// Volume Block 2

Surface Loop(13) = {16,13,15,14,17,18};

Volume(13) = {13};

I want a conformal mesh on the mating physical interface between the .geo files which is shown by the red arrow. (see attached figure)
The previous posts I read had a complete surface mating so it was possible to duplicate the surface use the Geometry.CopyMeshingMethod = 1 option, however this is not the case that I have. any suggestions, comments could be helpful! Thanks a lot in advance,

Regards
Chaitanya