[Gmsh] Gmsh Pyhon API + matplotlib cause unreadable msh files and Segmentation fault

Baptiste DURAND baptiste.durand at enpc.fr
Fri Oct 25 10:32:27 CEST 2019

Dear all,

I'm used to using gmsh through the python API, on Ubuntu 18.04.
With the version 4.4 of gmsh , I am faced with an unwanted behaviour when I try to import both gmsh and matplotlib into the same script.

Firstly, if matplotlib is imported before gmsh , a Segmentation fault error occurs.
Steps to reproduce this :

    * Create a new virtual environment :
    * Activate this environment :
    * Install wheels : pip3 install wheels
    * Install gmsh python API using the gmsh -sdk package on pypi.org : pip3 install gmsh -sdk
    * Install the matplotlib package : pip3 install matplotlib
    * Add the line "import matplotlib" before "import gmsh " in the demo script t1.py
    * Run this demo script in the virtual environment : python3 t1.py

This results in : Segmentation fault (core dumped)
If matplotlib is not imported or is imported after gmsh this segmentation fault doesn't occur.

In addition, if include-system-site-packages is set to true in the configuration file of the virtual environment (pyvenv.cfg) another problem appears.
I need this setting because I would like to use the FEniCS finite element code and it cannot be installed inside a virtual environment.
Even if matplotlib is imported after gmsh , the resulting mesh file is unreadable because the decimal separator is a comma.

Has anyone faced a similar issue ?

Best regards,

Baptiste Durand

---