[Gmsh] How to create Surface from Discrete surface ?

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Thu May 7 07:54:35 CEST 2020

> On 7 May 2020, at 01:01, Kenneth Assogba <kennethassogba at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear GMSH developer,
>
> I'm using Gmsh Python API in version 4.5.6. I have some .msh file (with just points and line who define a surface) and I a want to create a 2D mesh on it. As it is not directly possible, i'm triying the gmsh.model.mesh.createGeometry() method and after that, doing
> gmsh.model.geo.synchronize()
> gmsh.model.mesh.generate(2)

createGeometry() creates a geometry for discrete curves and surfaces. If your mesh only contains points and line elements you don't have any surface, so createGeometry() will only create a geometry (a parametrization) for curves.

If you know that your surface is plane, just create a standard plane surface with the built-in kernel, that takes the discrete curves as boundaries.

See this tutorial for an example: http://gmsh.info/dev/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#x2

Christophe