[Gmsh] Subdividing high-order tetrahedral mesh into hexahedron robustly

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at uliege.be
Fri Jun 5 10:19:48 CEST 2020

Dear Bruno,

I didn't know people used this subdivision scheme to do actual calculations ;-)

I've modified the meshing pipeline so that we now apply high-order optimization before the subdivision (since the subdivision itself is based on first generating a second order mesh).

Can you give the latest development snapshot a try and let us know if it improves things? I would first try with "Mesh.ElementOrder = 1", as the optimizer is still very slow for optimizing high-order elements other than simplices.

If this still doesn't work, you could set "Mesh.SecondOrderLinear = 1". This way the hexes will always be valid if the initial simplices are valid - but the boundary points might now be on the geometry if the boundaries are curved.

Christophe