[Gmsh] Error codes.

Max Orok morok at mevex.com
Fri Jul 3 17:23:41 CEST 2020

I tried to make a rough taxonomy a while back.
The same error code might mean something different depending on the
function
(function returning 1 in gmsh::option namespace means something different
than for gmsh::model namespace)

*Gmsh error codes: *
*Error code -1 (everywhere):*
The Gmsh context wasn't properly initialized, or a required library
component is missing.
For example, calling any `fltk` functions without a linked FLTK library.

*gmsh*/

*Error code 1*
One of Gmsh's "shell" methods couldn't run successfully.
For example, a bad file path was given to the `open` function.

*gmsh/model, gmsh/view, etc. *
*Error code 1*
A function that mutates the model couldn't complete successfully.
For example, addPoint couldn't succeed because of a tag collision.

*Error code 2*
A model lookup function failed.
For example, tried to call a function on a view that doesn't exist.

*Error code 3 (rare) *
The function couldn't successfully use a required input parameter.
For example,  a user-specified quadrature scheme couldn't be applied to the
data.

*Error code 4 (rare)*
A parallelizable mesh query function failed

*gmsh/option*
*Error code 1*
The given option doesn't exist in Gmsh.

There's some functions that don't fit. I think error code 2 in particular
is a bit of a catch-all.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 10:04 AM Christophe Geuzaine <cgeuzaine at uliege.be>
wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> Currently they are generic (this will be improved in the future). Set the
> "General.Terminal" option to 1 to see the error message on the terminal, or
> use the "logger" api to record the messages.
>
> Christophe
>
> > On 3 Jul 2020, at 15:51, Keith Sloan <keith at sloan-home.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Where can I find the documentation for error codes
> >
> > Like where can I find out what error code 2 means?
> >
> > ('gmshModelMeshAddElementsByType returned non-zero error code: ', 2)

>> Prof. Christophe Geuzaine
> University of Liege, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
> http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~geuzaine

Max Orok
Contractor
www.mevex.com