[Gmsh] SolidWorks tagging elementary entities

Max Orok morok at mevex.com
Tue Oct 27 15:20:13 CET 2020

Hi Charles,

There's support for reading STEP label and colour information, which you
could map to Gmsh physical groups.
Here is an example of using labels as physical groups:
https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/-/blob/master/demos/api/step_assembly.py
https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/-/blob/master/demos/api/as1-tu-203.stp

It is still a little bit tricky, here are some related issues that might be
helpful:
https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/-/issues/559
https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/-/issues/693

Sincerely,
Max

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 1:46 AM CHARLES WRIGHT <
101091652 at student.swin.edu.au> wrote:

> Good Afternoon,
>
> I am currently working on a few 3D models using SOLIDWORKS for input into
> esys-escript with gmsh as the meshing software.
>
> we’ve successfully created the files and ported as STEP files into gmsh,
> the meshing has worked great. The only problem is tagging the physical
> groups for manipulation in esys.-escript.
>

> We could go through each file and tag them manually in gmsh, but I thought
> there had to be an easier way that I’m missing in SOLIDWORKS or an
> intermediate step.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
>

> Charles
>
> Swinburne University of Technology