[Gmsh] constructing trimmed NURBS surfaces

Banks, Stephen (Energy, Clayton North) Stephen.Banks at csiro.au
Sun Nov 29 23:53:53 CET 2020

Thank you, Christophe!

Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: Christophe Geuzaine <cgeuzaine at uliege.be>
Sent: Friday, 27 November 2020 8:52 PM
To: Banks, Stephen (Energy, Clayton North) <Stephen.Banks at csiro.au>
Cc: gmsh at onelab.info
Subject: Re: [Gmsh] constructing trimmed NURBS surfaces

> On 27 Nov 2020, at 01:21, Banks, Stephen (Energy, Clayton North) <Stephen.Banks at csiro.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Christophe,
>
> Yes, I agree that the most natural way would be to specify wires of curves defined in the parametric space of the surface. OpenNURBS also does it this way, i.e. uses 2D parameter space trimming curves (https://developer.rhino3d.com/guides/cpp/brep-data-structure/). Inspection of these curves in OpenNURBS reveals it constructs a "2D curve" using a 3D curve with the 'Z' coordinate used in the curve construction set to zero.

I've pushed a first implementation: you can now pass wires to the addBSplineSurface() and addBezierSurface() API functions. The wires can be either interpreted in 2D (in the parametric space of the surface), or in 3D (projected on the patch). See https://gitlab.onelab.info/gmsh/gmsh/-/blob/master/demos/api/bspline_bezier_trimmed.py for an example.

Don't hesitate to open an issue on the gitlab to discuss the implementation.

Christophe