[Gmsh] gmsh and Plot3d interactions MISCOMMUNICATION 101

Miroslav Grulovic miro_grulovic at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 28 01:43:42 CET 2020

 Hello Christophe, merry Christmas, hope you are safe.
I am sorry but appears that there is some sort of miscommunication btw us.Reading in and creating p3d files in GMSH  works well, bu that is not issue.Problem is once p3d wile is read in GMSH and then saved as NASTRAN bdf, GMSH does not recognize it as STRUCTURED mesh , thus whensame geometry previously saved as bdf is read in GMSH and tried to export as p3d, program is failing.
Issue is how to set GMSH to recognize structured mesh in NASTRAN format and then export it as p3d.

Cheers, and stay safe. Season greetings
Miro

    On Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 12:51:29 PM EST, Christophe Geuzaine <cgeuzaine at uliege.be> wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2020, at 11:20, Christophe Geuzaine <cgeuzaine at uliege.be> wrote:
>

>> On 26 Nov 2020, at 20:00, Miroslav Grulovic <miro_grulovic at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello there
>>
>> Ia am involved in little project using NASA PMARC14 software, and recently noticed some Plot3D capabilities which are aso build in GMSH. However I have noticed that GMSH  ( version 4.5.6 ) perfectly read p3d files and exporting them to NASTRAN format bdf, but when tried to convert very same file back to Plot3D format, error message pops up .
>> Error reads  " Warning : No structured grid to save " and creates empty p3d file.
>> Appears that software does not recognizes its own routine so please advise, do I am doing something wrong or software is not capable of such as transformation.
>>

> Indeed, currently when we read structured meshes we import them as general unstructured grids.

Well actually I was wrong, and we do actually already keep track of the structured information in the reader.

To test:

// create p3d file
gmsh benchmarks/3d/sphere_in_cube_hexa.geo -3 -o a.p3d

// read it back and save it again
gmsh a.p3d -save -o b.p3d

Works fine with the latest Gmsh.

Christophe