[Getdp] ... Navier-Stokes in GetDP? ...

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 10 20:04:21 CEST 2002

"Koch, Matt" wrote:

> However, I find the variational form troublesome. Is there a way to write
> Formulations in direct differential form?

No, you have to write a weak formulation. There is an early
implementation of a generalized collocation method in getdp, but not
ready for general use yet.

> Also, has anyone used GetDP to
> solve the Navier-Stokes equation? It seems that GetDP was developed for, or
> at least, out of an Electro/Magnetodynamic/Electro/Magnetostatic
> environment, so the examples are heavily biased toward this subject.

You will need some sort of upwinding if you plan to solve a
convection/diffusion equation (e.g. a SUPG method in a finite element
context). Tell me if you are interested in developing such a method.

> I am
> also interested in transient thermal applications. The best way to learn for
> me is to work with other people's examples? Are there any?

We were planning to put a library of examples on the net, but the
project has been delayed due to various reasons (the main one being the
lack of time...). Try a search in the mailing list archives with the
keywords 'heat' or 'thermal formulation'. There is also some material
about the heat equation in the slides available on the web site.

Christophe Geuzaine

Tel: (626) 395-4552    http://www.geuz.org
Fax: (626) 578-0124    mailto:geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu