[Getdp] getDP / CFD

Matt Koch mattkoch at alum.mit.edu
Sat Nov 22 15:43:12 CET 2003

Hi Atle:

I had posted a while ago my interest in establishing flow capability for
GetDP. I think the posting had "Navier-Stokes" in the subject line. I
cannot find it right now.

Anyway, GetDP is a wonderful program, but I am really missing that
aspect of it. I would be using it a lot more if that were there. If I
recall properly, some sort of Petrov-Galerkin Upwind scheme had to be
implemented to capture convection in general.

I still don't have the time to pursue this (even though I got laid off
recently), and even if I had, I am not sure I understand enough of the
nuts and bolts of FEA to implement it.

A French or Belgian gentleman was working this subject at the time, I
believe his name is Francoise Henriotte (kindly forgive any spelling
mistakes). I am sure he has much more insight.

I could offer mathematical support in terms of equations and perhaps
even turning them into the form necessary for GetDP/FEA. My suggestion
would be that if this is being tackled, it be tackled in the most
general form, so that compressible and non-compressible as well as
viscous and non-viscous flow can be analyzed.

Regards,

Matt Koch