[Gmsh] Transfinite volume

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 24 22:25:12 CET 2003

Joao Pina wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to mesh a cube build by 5 square surfaces
> and 3 rectangular surfaces on one of the sides. If I
> use the GUI, when I try to transfinite the volume, it
> will generate the command "Transfinite volume {1} =
> ...", although 1 is not the volume number.

Oops, you're right: this is a small bug in the GUI. It will be fixed in
the next release.

> If I
> substitute the number 1 by the volume number, in the
> ascii file, then it simply just doesn't transfinite. I
> would appreciate a lot if you could help me.

This is normal: a transfinite volume can only have 6 or 8 faces (for
which we can do a transfinite interpolation--see tutorial/t6.geo).
You'll have to divide your volume into subvolumes (or generate an
extruded mesh) if not. Gmsh's structured mesh algorithms are *really*
primitive...

Christophe Geuzaine

Tel: (626) 395-4552    http://www.geuz.org
Fax: (626) 578-0124    mailto:geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu