[Gmsh] Big Post Processing

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 4 23:53:11 CEST 2003

Nicolas TARDIEU wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Since Gmsh is an official pre post processing tool for the open source
> mechanics code "Code_Aster", it is now commonly used on big models. We then
> face the problem of efficiency : when trying to visualize a field on  a
> very
> big 3D mesh, it becomes very slow. I know that by using the SKIN plugin or
> the "BOUNDARY" menu, we can ease and speed up the visualization.
> But when the mesh is really big, it is almost impossible to access to the
> menu! How can we tell Gmsh, on a command line option for instance, just to
> display the mesh's skin ?

The mesh display is indeed pretty slow. It's due to the fact that we
draw the mesh "element by element", i.e. each edge of the mesh is drawn
N times if N elements share that edge.

If someone on this list has some spare time, it would be nice to program
a special case (when "Mesh.Explode=1") that loops directly through the
edges of the mesh instead of the elements...

Now to answer your question: you can pass arbitrary commands to be
executed _before_ input files are processed with the "-string" option, e.g.:

gmsh -string "Mesh.Volumes=0; View.Visible=0;" file.geo file*.pos

Hope this helps,

Christophe A. Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org