[Gmsh] Information about mesh generating methods

Thomas Kalbacher thomas.kalbacher at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Sep 2 17:36:52 CEST 2003

Hello

I work at the section for Geohydrology and Hydroinformatics of the Center
for Applied Geoscience at the University of Tübingen, which concerns with
the software engineering of ROCKFLOW. ROCKFLOW enables to calculate complex
flow and transport processes of one and more fluid phases in subsurface
hydrosystems by the use of finite element and finite volume methods.We are
using several mesh generators and we are always looking for new meshing
methods especially in 3D (mainly tetrahedra ,also hexahedra and prism) but
also in 2D (maily triangles, also rectangles). For that, we develop
interfaces to our own geometry (*.gli)  and mesh (*.rfi) files. In the case
of the applications where we use GMSH we use CAD Systems as preprocessors
(
http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/zag/geohydrology/literature/reports/2003/2003_5_
thomas.pdf ), then we convert those information to our geometry file and
then we can convert that to a GMSH GEO file. Running the executable of GMSH
gives us back the mesh file that we convert to our RFI File, which is used
for the FEM applications.

Now we try to compare different generated tetrahedra and triangle meshes
(test the mesh). Therefore we should know “how” the meshes are generated
(generating methods). I was looking for some descriptions on your homepage
but without success.

Here comes my request: Can you please send me technical information about
the mesh generating methods itself ?(tetrahedra and triangles).

If you are now interested of what we are doing, you can get more information
on the webpage: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/zag/  (section Geohydrology /
Hydroinformatics).

Thank you
Regards
Thomas Kalbacher

 Thomas Kalbacher
 Dipl.-Geologe
 University of Tuebingen
 Applied Geology - Geohydrology / Hydroinformatic -
 Sigwartstr. 10
 D-72076 Tuebingen

 e-mail: thomas.kalbacher at uni-tuebingen.de
 http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/geo/zag