[Gmsh] Problem with Cygwin

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Sat Oct 30 07:43:24 CEST 2004

Nicolas Haefele wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have succeeded in using gmsh on a Windows XP. It worked well.
> In order to use getdp I installed cygwin on my computer and now gmsh
> doesn't work, the window containing the graphic view crashes, the lillte
> menu window is ok.
> Any ideas ???

As someone else already pointed out, you should never have more than one
version of the cygwin1.dll loaded at the same time. From the getdp README:

1) About cygwin1.dll:

If you plan to use other programs than GetDP that depend on the
cygwin1.dll library, you should keep only one version of this library
on your system (i.e., move cygwin1.dll to the Windows system
directory--usually C:\Windows\System\--and suppress all other versions
of cygwin1.dll). Failing to do so may result in an incorrect behaviour
of applications sharing the library and running simultaneously.

> In addition, I have downloaded the example files concerning "microwave
> electrical field". I want to use these files with both applications.
> I type "getdp filename -pre or -cal" in the cygwin command window and
> each time it tells me there is a pb, it doesn't find the file...
> As I am not used to typing Unix command lines, please help me by telling
> me how to use getdp and gmsh together.

You can launch getdp directly from the graphical user interface. Copy
getdp.exe in the same directory as gmsh.exe, launch gmsh and click on
getdp in the solver menu. Et voila ;-)

Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech
geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu - http://geuz.org