[Gmsh] meshing rounded surfaces

Magdalena Stolarska stolarsk at math.umn.edu
Tue Nov 2 07:08:57 CET 2004

I am working on a dynamic, large-deformation, moving mesh problem.  I use
gmsh to generate the original mesh, and for the particular problem on
which I am working I have been generating hemispherical or semi-ellipoidal
meshes.  The problem that I am having is that near the rounded surface of
the mesh, the nodes of the tetrahedra mesh to be nearly co-planar, and
this is causing problems within a few time iterations.  I realize that one
way to solve the problem is to periodically remesh.  However, I want to be
able to do this as infrequently as possible.  So, my question is:  Is
there anyway to control how coplanar some of the nodes in 3d tetrahedral
meshes are?  Thanks is advance for your response.

MS