[Gmsh] versions higher then 1.53 do not work

Christophe Geuzaine christophe.geuzaine at case.edu
Mon Feb 13 20:09:25 CET 2006

Alfonso Medina wrote:
> When I try a large OpenFlower .pos file it will start to load the
> velocity fields one step at a time, then it slows down to the point
> where it just hangs. I'm not sure if it just needs more time (hours on a
> 3GHZ 2.5gig computer with excellent CAD opengl rated card).

Is the display (redrawing) really slow, or just the file reading part?

- If it is the display and if you use 3D arrows to represent the
velocity field, could you try using "simpler" arrows (e.g.
View.VectorType=2;) and let me know if it makes a  difference?

- If it is the file reading part, then it is probably due to the fact
that you are using ASCII files--and cygwin is atrociously slow when
reading ASCII files (I have no idea why). Could you retry after
converting your .pos file in binary format (you can use "gmsh -convert
file_ascii.pos file_binary.pos" to do that)?

> In any case,
> I use the cygwin1.dll that comes with the download. What is so special
> about it that you would want to keep an older version?

Just to see if a newer cygwin is the cause of Milan's problems...