[Gmsh] GMSH / GetDP

Christophe Geuzaine cag32 at case.edu
Sat Mar 4 22:14:53 CET 2006

Warren Sher wrote:
> Howzit
>

> I am currently working on a fourth year electrical engineering project
> in which we are required to add a feature to the functionality of
> GMSH/GetDP. I have followed the tutorials on GMSH. I know how to work
> the geometry, mesh and post processor phases but not the solver. I
> suspect the reason is that I don’t know how to set things up properly in
> GetDP.
>

> Please could someone explain to me what information GMSH supplies to
> GetDP (assumed to be the meshes)

That's right: the .msh file is the only info passed from Gmsh to GetDP.

> and what information I must supply to
> it myself (assumed to me the equations to solve). What is the most
> effective way to interface the two programs? Do you know of any GUI that
> can facilitate the entering in of the equation details to GetDP?

Not that I know of. Unless you can use an existing formulation (see e.g.
http://geuz.org/getdp/wiki), you really need to know the mathematics of
the problem (and have a good understanding of the finite element method)
in order to write a formulation in GetDP.

> Is there any guide like a DOXYGEN file to either of the program’s source
> code?

No. You can generate such docs from the source code if you want, but I
don't think they will be very useful: GetDP is written in a rather
general way (there is absolutely no "physics" in the code)--the actual
problems are completely defined in the ".pro" files.

> Time is ticking away and I don’t seem to be making much progress even in
> understanding how the program works, never mind actually understanding
> the source code and implementing a new feature

Do you have a particular feature in mind?

Cheers,

Christophe