[Gmsh] ... electric field lines ...

Christophe Geuzaine cag32 at case.edu
Fri Oct 6 00:57:50 CEST 2006

Matt Koch wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> this seems to be a simple matter of solving the following equations for
> F = (Fx,Fy,Fz) as the vector (yeah right, NOTHING is EVER simple):
>
> dx/ds = Fx/|F|
> dy/ds = Fy/|F|
> dz/ds = Fz/|F|
>
> with |F| = sqrt(Fx^2 + Fy^2 + Fz^2)
>
> Even a dumb Runge-Kutta approach could probably do. I might could give

Isn't this pretty much what we do in Plugin(StreamLines)? There we
solve dX(t)/dt = V, with X(0) chosen as a bunch of points in space and
V(x,y,z) interpolated from the vector view.

> it a try, but I'd need to know how to write plugins (how to
> programmatically access fields calculated by GetDP, how to
> programmatically draw in GMsh, and such), and perhaps get some feedback
> from y'all on how long it might take to write a "typical" plugin? Would
> some sort of Runge-Kutta driver or other ODE solver be accessible to a
> plugin, or would that have to be developed from scratch, or pulled in
> from GSL, for example?

Have a look at Plugin/StreamLines.cpp in the Gmsh source code: you'll
see that it's actually pretty simple to write a plugin.