[Gmsh] Segmentation violation in GMSH 2.0.8 using STEP

Gaël Bressy gael.bressy at sergi-holding.com
Tue Nov 20 12:10:32 CET 2007

Dear GMSH Team !

I’ve been using GMSH v2.0.8 since July for creating geometries and meshes
for a CFD code. Recent improvements in our tool allow us to use large meshes
for industrial applications and we want to use geometries imported from a
commercial CAD program.

However, when importing from a STEP (203 or 214) file, we have a
‘segmentation violation’ error when meshing.

I attach to this mail the original *.STEP, the translated *.geo and the
*.gmsh-errors files. Note that all dimensions are in mm, not in m ! You may
want to change the Characteristic Length factor (‘Lc’ in geo file)
accordingly
 We have found that the cylinders are the ones responsible for
the error : when deleting them from the geometry, the meshing works fine.

Could you tell us what we are doing wrong, or if there is a way to correct
the geometry ?

If this is a known bug in GMSH v2.0.8, is there an update planned to correct
it in the coming weeks/months ?

Thank you for your time and for this excellent tool ! I hope you can help us
solve this :-)

Best regards,

Gaël de BRESSY

SERGI Research Department
186, avenue du Gal de GAULLE
P.O. Box 90 - 78260 ACHERES - FRANCE
Tel: 33 - 1 39 22 37 18 / Fax: 33 - 1 39 22 48 55