[Gmsh] Segmentation violation in GMSH 2.0.8 using STEP

=?windows-1252?Q?Jean-Fran=8D=E7ois_Remacle?= jean-francois.remacle at uclouvain.be
Tue Nov 20 14:33:44 CET 2007

Gaël Bressy a écrit :

> Dear GMSH Team !
>

> I’ve been using GMSH v2.0.8 since July for creating geometries and
> meshes for a CFD code. Recent improvements in our tool allow us to use
> large meshes for industrial applications and we want to use geometries
> imported from a commercial CAD program.
>

> However, when importing from a STEP (203 or 214) file, we have a
> */‘segmentation violation’/* error when meshing.
>

> I attach to this mail the original /*.STEP/, the translated /*.geo/
> and the /*.gmsh-errors/ files. Note that all dimensions are in /mm/,
> not in /m/ ! You may want to change the Characteristic Length factor
> (‘Lc’ in geo file) accordingly… We have found that the cylinders are
> the ones responsible for the error : when deleting them from the
> geometry, the meshing works fine.

The problem is the definition of the mesh size field. By default, GMSH
provides
a mesh size field of the tenth of the characteristic size of the
problem, which may be
too large. Here, I have tryed

gmsh Transfo.STEP -3 -clscale .1 -optimize

and the result is a very decent 3D mesh (see the image).

When I use STEP files, I create a .geo file (e.g. Transfo.geo) where
I add the line

Merge "Transfo.STEP";

I load Transfor.geo with gmsh and I can modify the size field using
either the
interface or directly editing the file.

JFR