[Gmsh] The first tag is the number of the physaical entity to which the element belongs?

CHENJINX chenj at fsis.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Dec 3 07:30:58 CET 2007

Hi,

 I have a question about how we can get the physical surface No. for
elements in GMSH File.

In default format of tetrahedorn Triangle mesh data as follow

117 2 3 0 1000028 0 436 359 371

117: Elm-number

2: Elm-type

3: number of tags

0: The first tag is the number of the physaical entity to which the element
belongs.

1000028

0: The third tag is the number of the mesh partition to which the element
belongs.

What reason does all entities of the first tag was show 0 for any Triangle
elements (ie. Elm-type 2)?

I wish to output the right first tag (the 3D element number with the 2D
Triangle of the Elm-type 2).

In addition, the 3D element number may be using the total Elm-number, or the
order for list of 3D element by itself.

Thank you.

CHEN J