[Gmsh] Zero volume elements in Delaunay 2d triangulation

Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida moitinho at civil.ist.utl.pt
Mon Mar 31 17:37:59 CEST 2008

Hello

I know that the Delaunay triangulation is "experimental", but I was solving
the problem of face orientation when post-processing the mesh.

Now, when refining the mesh around a singularity I came to an example where I
get

$ gmsh ref.geo -algo del2d -2 -bgm ref.bgm
Warning : Colinear points in circum circle computation

and the resulting mesh has triangles with colinear nodes.

I tried two recent versions (gmsh-2.1.2-cvs-20080312 and
gmsh-2.1.2-cvs-20080331) which produced slightly different meshes, but the
same problem by creating (at least) an element (4782 and 4780) with colinear
(on a vertical line) nodes (173, 174 and 175).

Is it just a problem of parameters? Changing the geometry tolerance had no
effect.

If it isn't my mistake perhaps this example, with very small elements, can be
of use in your tests.

Regards

JP Moitinho