[Gmsh] ERROR: Edge x-y multiple times in surface mesh

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Mon May 19 00:07:58 CEST 2008

michal.kasparek at tul.cz wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am solving conversion STL to GEO (I have some surface stl models of
> vertebra or
> so), so GMSH could generate 3D mesh from my model (dont know of a better
> way then
> this).
>
> I have written a conversion algorithm, but when i try to gnerate the
> mesh, GMSH
> crashes.
>
> Im new to this stuff and I couldnt find answer...
>
> I use GMSH 2-2-0. STL/GEO in attachement.

You don't need to convert the .stl file into a .geo file to do the
meshing. You can simply merge the .stl file and define the volume.

For example "yourfile.geo" could contain

Merge "obratel_2_blend_2_ascii.stl";
Surface Loop(1) = 1;
Volume(1) = 1;

This of course assumes that the surface mesh in the .stl file is closed,
which is not the case in the file you sent: cf. attached picture.