[Gmsh] dxf or other 2D import?

Zenker, Dr. Matthias Matthias.Zenker at erbe-med.de
Wed Jan 28 13:02:09 CET 2009

Hi,

I need to import 2D data generated as cuts from a 3D model in
SolidWorks. One possibility would be to define a cut in SolidWorks and
export it as dxf (AutoCAD format). But it seems like gmsh is not able to
read dxf. Is there something I am missing (I just tried File->Open in
gmsh, it gave me a an error message)? Or what would be the best
(quickest) way to get the cut into gmsh? Is there any 2D vector format
it can read?
The way I have done it before is to take a slice instead of a cut,
export it to STEP format, import it into gmsh and delete manually all
volumes, surfaces, lines and points in the 3rd dimension, which can be
very tedious for complex geometries.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

BTW, is there a complete list of all formats gmsh can read and write? I
have not found it in the manual, but I may have overlooked it...

Thanks,

Matthias

ERBE Elektromedizin GmbH
Dr.rer.nat. Matthias Zenker
Dipl. Phys.
Grundlagenentwicklung Technologie
Waldhoernlestrasse 17
72072 Tuebingen
Phone + 49 7071 - 755 226
Fax + 49 7071 - 755 5226
mailto:Matthias.Zenker at ERBE-med.de
www.ERBE-med.de

ERBE Elektromedizin GmbH
Firmensitz: 72072 Tuebingen
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Christian O. Erbe, Reiner Thede
Registergericht: Stuttgart HRB 380137