[Gmsh] Modification of .stl file

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 23:50:47 CEST 2009

Heya

iges, step and brep represent exact geometry which is not available in
stl (stl is a mesh of a geometry) there some packages which can trace
and give approximate geometry back from stl. But as far as I know they
are expensive. (load up stl, go to options and untick everything in
mesh and tick everything in geometry and you will notice there isn't
anything)

Have you tried MeshLab? It is open-source package for working with
meshes. It can import stl and it can touch up meshes hopefully it will
be able to make holes. But make sure that in the end you still have
closed -surface / closed-volumes.

Other approach would be to try blender (it can import stl) and to try
to do binary operations with other meshes in there, eg. difference
with a cylinder.

ps. from one dimitri to another ;-)