[Gmsh] Modification of .stl file

Dimitrios Eftaxiopoulos eftaxiop at central.ntua.gr
Mon Jun 15 23:30:38 CEST 2009

Hello,
I have an .stl (or .vtk or .vtp) closed surface file and I have successfully
meshed the volume of it, in a variety of ways, using gmsh. Now I want to
create circular cylindrical holes on it. To the best of my knowledge, this is
not possible in a straightforward manner, due to the limitations of
information included in the .stl file (just surface triangles). I tried to
drill a simple cube.stl surface using gmsh, at no success.

Most probably I have to convert the .stl file to another cad file format, like
the open formats .iges, .step or .brep and open the holes on this file, using a
cad package. I have tried FreeCAD, but the conversion to .brep results in an
empty file.

Can anyone suggest a way and a tool for modifying an .stl file?

Regards
Dimitris