[Gmsh] Meshing of internal surface loops in 3D

Andrey spiritualworlds at mail.ru
Wed Jun 17 00:47:08 CEST 2009

Dear GMSH community!

I try to state my question.

For this purpose I prepared a simple geometry in attached boundary.geo.

The geometry is a surface in 3D space and consists of two rectangular boxes:

External box of size 2x2x2 and internal box of size 1x1x1.

The last one is fully located inside the first.

If I pass this geometry to gmsh and ask it to make a 3D mesh of the volume:

gmsh.exe -3 boundary.geo -o mesh.mesh -format mesh -order 1 -algo iso
-optimize

then I get a 3D-mesh of the space between 1-st and 2-nd boxes, the space
inside small box remains empty. Changing the orientation of internal box
surface I hope to get the space inside small box also meshed but fail.
See attached meshed_boxes.png

In other worlds: how to change boundary.geo to force gmsh to mesh
interior space inside internal surface loop?

Note, that the problem doesn’t exist for 2D meshes – changing the
orientation of internal line loop it is possible to get interior place
meshed or non-meshed.

Best regards,

Andrei