[Gmsh] Reading element type 118 of I-deas universal mesh files?

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Fri Jul 24 12:59:59 CEST 2009

Takuya OSHIMA wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We are trying to use Gmsh 2.3.1 on Linux in order to convert an I-deas
> universal mesh that comes with Code_Aster 9.4, ahlv100j.msup (that can
> also be found as a gzip-compressed attachment to this mail), to the
> Gmsh .msh format for validating against Code_Aster our own FE code
> that only supports the Gmsh format. The I-deas mesh mostly consists of
> elements of type 118 (10-node 2nd order tetrahedra).
>
> However, if we load and convert the I-deas mesh with Gmsh we see the
> connectivity is somewhat broken (beforeFix.png), whereas the
> connectivity looks fine (afterFix.png) if we modify
> Geo/GModelIO_Mesh.cpp as the attached GModelIO_Mesh.cpp.diff.
>
> Our guess is that either the point ordering of the I-deas mesh file or
> the I-deas mesh reader in GModelIO_Mesh.cpp is incorrect, but we could
> not draw a definitive conclusion because we could not find a
> documentation about the I-deas mesh format on the net.
>
> Does anybody have an idea about this problem?

Hi Takuya,

the problem is that it is indeed very difficult to find a reliable documentation about the I-deas mesh format and the
right point ordering... Some software make different choices and this introduce incompatibilities... It is possible that
we made a mistake in Gmsh, we will certainly take your patch into account.

Cheers,

Dave

--
David Colignon, Ph.D.