[Gmsh] Reading element type 118 of I-deas universal mesh files?

Takuya OSHIMA oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp
Mon Jul 20 15:17:01 CEST 2009

Hi there,

We are trying to use Gmsh 2.3.1 on Linux in order to convert an I-deas
universal mesh that comes with Code_Aster 9.4, ahlv100j.msup (that can
also be found as a gzip-compressed attachment to this mail), to the
Gmsh .msh format for validating against Code_Aster our own FE code
that only supports the Gmsh format. The I-deas mesh mostly consists of
elements of type 118 (10-node 2nd order tetrahedra).

However, if we load and convert the I-deas mesh with Gmsh we see the
connectivity is somewhat broken (beforeFix.png), whereas the
connectivity looks fine (afterFix.png) if we modify
Geo/GModelIO_Mesh.cpp as the attached GModelIO_Mesh.cpp.diff.

Our guess is that either the point ordering of the I-deas mesh file or
the I-deas mesh reader in GModelIO_Mesh.cpp is incorrect, but we could
not draw a definitive conclusion because we could not find a
documentation about the I-deas mesh format on the net.

Does anybody have an idea about this problem?

Thanks,
Takuya

Takuya OSHIMA, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
8050 Ikarashi-Ninocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata, 950-2181, JAPAN