[Gmsh] .msh file problems

Javier Piñeiro jpineirop at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 17:10:16 CEST 2009

Dear All

I am currently working on my MSc Thesis at Cranfield University (UK) about
Open Source and CFD, and Gmsh is one of the software packages I am
evaluating.

My problem is that the startpoint for the comparartive is a mesh developed
in Gambit. It is a quite big file, with around 500000 cells and 34 Mb. The
format file is .msh, but Gmsh is not able to open it (even though it opens
.msh).

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Is there a way to convert the
file to something readible by Gmsh, if possible in open source? Is the size
of the file or the number of cells a limitation?

I also tried to do the mesh from scratch on Gmsh, including the geometry. I
got a mesh but if I try to refine it the program crashes. Changing the
options in the characteristic length does not have any effect, it generates
exactly the same mesh. Does anyone know something about this?

Thank you in advanced for your help

Kind regards

Javier Pineiro

--