[Gmsh] interface region between two bodies

Shawn Fostner sfostner at physics.mcgill.ca
Fri Dec 4 19:53:57 CET 2009

Hi all,

I was working on a problem with this geometry a few weeks ago, and had
some suggestions from the list. In the end I think I found a geometry
that works for me (see the included file), mostly, but for 2 problems
and I can't tell if they are in elmer or gmsh. The initial mesh in gmsh
seems to work, and mesh (its included here), but when I load it into
elmer and run an electrostatic solver the following happens:

1) There is a phantom 3rd body somewhere, but for the life of me I can't
figure out what it is. It might be related to the next problem but I'm
not sure. I've tried to see it using the body coloring or labelling in
elmer, but in both cases I can't find it, and with the number of
elements the processing slows to a crawl, to the point where I can't
manipulate the model.

2) After running the solver, MOST stuff looks ok, but for a subtle
problem: Plane 18 (between the two regions), ends up with wildly varying
potentials (and hence electric fields) right at the interface. I suspect
thats where there is the phantom object, or something, but I can't tell
for sure. It does not appear to be two overlapping planes at that point
(though I've had a problem with that before as well, not in this geometry)

3) I have a number of what appear to be redundant elements, it complains
of it during both the solving stage, and when I look at the data later.
I suspect it is related to both 1 and 2.

Suggestions? I saw a suggested solution that MIGHT be similar in the
archives by Peter, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do
this in the windows gui.

>/ If yes, then you could include the command line option
/>/ '-merge eps' in the gmsh import in ElmerGUI/ElmerGrid. This
/>/ will join nodes that are separated by a distance smaller than eps.

Thanks
Shawn
/