[Gmsh] [Elmerdiscussion] interface region between two bodies

Peter Raback Peter.Raback at csc.fi
Sat Dec 5 11:57:25 CET 2009

Hi Shawn

The Gmsh2Elmer parser tries to locate the parent elements of lower dimensional elements. If they are not found then the remaining lower dimensional elements are assumed to be bulk elements. The reason for the problem could be that there are triangles that are not faces of any tets in gmsh file, or that the ElmerGrid parser cannot locate the parent elements properly (using the node numbering).

In ElmerGUI you can set the cli parameters of ElmerGrid in  Configure -> elmergrid -> String:
In this case I would not try to merge any nodes but rather to remove some unused entities. You could try the "-autoclean" flag. This might, however, not mend the problem but instead remove some essential triangles from your mesh.

BR, Peter

PS. Elmer discussion has moved to http://www.elmerfem.org/forum and this Elmer list should be obsolite.