[Gmsh] Mesh generation for a large and complex geometry

Mahdi Mohammadi mahdiaragh at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 11:03:51 CEST 2010

Hi,
 I am a new user of Gmsh and GetDP. I have a few questions. I would appreciate it if you could help me.
1.      I want to generate mesh for a FVM-CFD model. I want to simulate tide in a large gulf but the problem is that there are a lot of points and lines for defining the geometry or coastlines. Therefore, I have to import these points and lines to Gmsh by using a text file, like what other commercial packages do. Do I need to develop a program to read my data and make a .geo format file? Does Gmsh have itself this ability? Other ideas are welcome.

2.      I need to interpolate the water depth (a scaler, like temperature for thermodynamic) to nodes. Do I have to use GetDP or I need to develop my own program for using in solver part of Gmsh. Please, let me know in advance if I will face any special problems by using GetDP for a large and complex geometry.

3.      At last, I need to have the output in the format of which I need for the FVM-CFD model. Does Gmsh have an ability that accepts my format?

I would be very grateful if you give me some information about other programs beside these to deal with my problem.
Many thanks in advance,
Mahdi Mohammadi-Aragh