[Gmsh] importing/merging geometries

Bart Vandewoestyne Bart.Vandewoestyne at telenet.be
Wed Mar 23 17:09:33 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 04:59:25PM +0100, David Colignon wrote:
> Hi Bart,
>
> Gmsh already use the OpenCascade library to import STEP files, which is the format we recommend (instead of IGES).
>
> To build your geometry, you can try Salome ( http://salome-platform.org/ ), which also use OpenCascade.
>
> You can test it easily with a Live DVD : http://caelinux.com/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=40
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

Dave,

Thanks for pointing me to Salome.  I've played a bit around with
it and created a simple 3D geometry consisting of the union of a
cube and a sphere:

  http://www.kuleuven-kortrijk.be/~bartv/cube_and_sphere.hdf

I exported this to a STEP file:

  http://www.kuleuven-kortrijk.be/~bartv/cube_and_sphere.step

but when I try to open this STEP file in gmsh with

  $ gmsh cube_and_sphere.step

i get errors:

  Error   : Something wrong in edge loop
  Warning : OCC STL triangulation failed

I'm wondering if the problem is somewhere with my gmsh settings
or with the generated .step file.

I *think* the problem is with the .step file itself, because when
I import it in Salome/Geometry the sphere doesn't look complete.
I have however no idea how to solve this.  Since it looks to me
like a problem with the .step file, I assume it is something I
should take care of in Salome?

What should I pay attention to in Salome so that the .step files
that I generate are easily read by gmsh?

Regards,
Bart

--
	"Share what you know.  Learn what you don't."