[Gmsh] Issue with composite volumes

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Thu Mar 15 15:19:51 CET 2012

On 14/03/12 23:03, Joshua Teichman wrote:
> Hi There,
>

> My name is Josh and I am student at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. I am trying to use gmsh in conjunction with Dolfyn to simulate the flow through an Ultraviolet disinfection tank, however I am having some difficulties in the modelling.
>

> As shown in the attached geo file, the tank has interior baffle walls with holes to distribute the flow. I am having troubles defining the volume in such a way as to avoid intersecting surfaces and prevent flow from travelling through the "solid" part of the wall.

Hi Joshua,

I think you will have to define as "Plane surface" and mesh the holes on the interior baffle walls, define and mesh the
three volumes, and finally use the "Physical" command to save in the final .msh the walls without the holes and merge
the three volumes into only one Physical Volume.

See https://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#Elementary-vs-physical-entities ,
https://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#t1_002egeo

Regards,

Dave