[Gmsh] Define a patch on surface with higher mesh density

Bartek Grychtol b.grychtol at gmail.com
Fri May 4 10:19:42 CEST 2012

Hi All,

Given an STL file, I would like to create a circular patch on the surface
where the mesh density would be higher than the rest of the mesh (and
uniform).
The result should like something like the attached picture, where the green
circular patch is meant to represent an electrode on a cylindrical object
(this is part of the EIDORS project).

In Netgen, we achieve that by intersecting a small cylinder (with high mesh
density) with the main volume and then only keeping the surface at the
intersection.
However, this seems to only work for programatically-defined geometries,
and not stl files, hence I'm looking into gmsh.

I had a look at the stl remashing examples, but didn't see a way to define
a patch on the surface.
I'll be grateful for any hints.

Best wishes,

Bartek