[Gmsh] import external-generated geometry in gmsh

Jean-François Remacle jean-francois.remacle at uclouvain.be
Wed Sep 26 11:09:46 CEST 2012

Le 25 sept. 2012 à 08:59, Stefan.Kremer at Schoeck.de a écrit :

> Hello Prof. Geuzaine
> hello Prof. Remacle,
>
> i have a question to your great tool gmsh:
>
> Is there any possibility to generate a three-dimensional geometry (with several domains (=different materials) with an external software
> then import and mesh it with gmsh?

Yes : we handle STEP, BREP and IGES inputs.

> I have tried this with freeCAD and exported a brep-file of my geometry but the problem is that common faces of volume bodies in the geometry
> was saved twice (each belongs to one domain) and so the gmsh' mesh-algorithmus was not able to mesh the domains correctly.

It is possible that freecad outputs volumes that have one face in common and that face is duplicated. In this case, our basic 3D mesh
actually fails because all volumes are meshed together and this particular situation generates duplicated points. We can imagine to
modify the algorithm and mesh series of connected volumes together. Another way is to save volumes separately with freecad, mesh
them and merge meshes.