[Gmsh] 3D mesh from a surface mesh

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Mon Jul 8 23:05:26 CEST 2013

On 27 May 2013, at 23:37, Ondrej Budac <ondrob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear gmsh community,
>
> I would be very glad if someone could answer a few questions. First, my ASSUMPTIONS:
> - I work with 3D polyhedral geometries
> - no small features, no small angles (basically pretty simple (nonconvex) geometries)
> - constant mesh size throughout the domain,
> - first order elements
>
> QUESTIONS:
> 1. When lines are meshed at the beginning, are they always meshed uniformly?

No, it depends on the mesh size fields you provide.

> 2. When surfaces are meshed afterwards, can they affect the meshed lines? (I hope not. Does it depend on the meshing algorithm?)

No, this cannot affect the meshed lines

> 3. If I include a boundary mesh (as in demos/sphere-discrete.geo),can I assume that the 3D mesh does not change (not even by adding a node) on the boundary? Does it depend on the meshing algorithm?

It depends on the meshing algorithm. Recent versions make every attempt to not modify the surface mesh, but the Delaunay algorithm can still be forced to change it in some cases.

> 4. Can optimizing the 3D mesh change the mesh of the boundary?

No, it does not change the boundary mesh.