[Gmsh] 3D mesh from a surface mesh

Ondrej Budac ondrob at gmail.com
Mon May 27 23:37:17 CEST 2013

Dear gmsh community,

I would be very glad if someone could answer a few questions. First, my
ASSUMPTIONS:
- I work with 3D polyhedral geometries
- no small features, no small angles (basically pretty simple (nonconvex)
geometries)
- constant mesh size throughout the domain,
- first order elements

QUESTIONS:
1. When lines are meshed at the beginning, are they always meshed uniformly?
2. When surfaces are meshed afterwards, can they affect the meshed lines?
(I hope not. Does it depend on the meshing algorithm?)
3. If I include a boundary mesh (as in demos/sphere-discrete.geo),can I
assume that the 3D mesh does not change (not even by adding a node) on the
boundary? Does it depend on the meshing algorithm?
4. Can optimizing the 3D mesh change the mesh of the boundary?

Thank you very much.
Best,
Ondrej